Facts and figures
Tomorrow starts with the reality of what's in Wainuiomata today and we've collecting some key facts and figures to help choose what we focus on in years to come.
Over time we want to build up a library of key facts, data, and local research that anyone can use to make Wainuiomata an even better place. We'll add more as we go.
- Our population is declining and is 17304 now.
- Overall our population is shrinking though we're set to have a higher % of younger people compared to other parts of the region.
- A quarter of Wainuiomata are Maori, 13% Polynesian and 7% Asian
- We have 5988 households.
- Nearly two thirds of households earn less than $70,000
- 61% of us live in three bedrooms homes. That's a lot of space.
- Pencarrow area has the lowest unemployment at 3.6% and Arakura has the highest at 13%.
- Most of us are employed in education, retail, construction, manufacturing, food services and accommodation.
- We have 731 businesses in Wainuiomata - more than 3 years ago - but overall jobs in the valley have dropped.
- Over 100,000 people visit destinations in Wainuiomata every year, plus another 50,000 of our friends and family visit stay too.
Source: Statistics NZ Census 2013 and Hutt City Council